HAPPY 100th BIRTHDAY BANNIE!!

I’m gushing over the fact that it’s my grandmother’s 100th birthday today! She is the most special lady-- not just a “grandma,” but more like a mother to me.



When my cousin was an infant, she couldn't pronounce "Granny" and kept saying "Bannie." My grandmother thought it was cute, and the name "Bannie" was born.



my grandmother, siblings & parents



Born August 28, 1909 in San Francisco, the daughter of Romanian immigrants, Tillie has lived a humbled life of 100 years in the city of San Francisco. A century of stories she has to share. And, let me tell you, at 100, her mind is as sharp as a tack!



My grandparents at Stinson Beach in 1931. They were still courting.



She met my sweet grandfather Stanley in 1930 and got married in 1932. They were married for 66 years and my Papa passed away.

Tillie & Stanley Batt - Fairmont Hotel, San Francisco 1932



My grandparents were married at the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco. From this photo it looks like they were from a wealthy family. Not so. Working class families. As my grandmother tells me, in those days things were not as expensive and they saved and saved for special occasions.



Giving. Generous. Sweet. Outgoing. Curious. Selfless. Wise. Bannie has the spirit of a young person. She is excitable and the smallest of things make her happy. If I've inherited just a portion of the qualities she has, I'm grateful.



So today marks 100 for Bannie...a Centurion! This cake above makes me think of Bannie. Fit for a queen!



Tomorrow we will be having a party at her house with family & friends. I can hardly wait! We've been decorating up a storm!



Thank you Bannie for giving me all you had to give. Driving me home from school every day. Attending every single dance recital or concert I was in. Letting me torture you on vacations by dragging you out for hot fudge sundaes when you really didn't want to leave the motel. Letting me bring my laundry over in garbage bags and you having it all ready-- hanged and perfectly pressed!

Bannie, I LOVE YOU & HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!